Would it be wise to wear a dress at court

General Transgender Support

Would it be wise to wear a dress at court

Postby Amaya » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 am

Ok so my name change court date is coming up in two weeks, i ordered my first dress which is a very nice looking korean Atelier De Sappho dress this is a link to the website

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/atelier-de-s ... 1013758872

I'm planning to wear rose thigh high stockings with this dress along with some knee high leather heels. Im new to dressing myself like this but my question is would this look good doing it on a day like this. Maybe i'll take a pic of myself once i recieve everything by mail.My hair isnt really long only been growing it for 10 months and it does seem to grow slow. I was told i needed to be dressed professionlly, while i do wear womens clothing i dont see any of it as professional. I never owned a suit or anything so the only women clothing i have besides this dress is skinny womens jeans with tank tops or vneck shirts. Any help will be appreciated in this decision.
Amaya

Re: Would it be wise to wear a dress at court

Postby AdrienEtienne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 am

Stylistically, that dress would be considered professional. Rose thigh highs with knee high boots, not so much. Knee high boots, maybe, depends on how simple they are and what height the heal is (basically, very simple with a 1 1/2-2 inch heel would be at least somewhat professional, especially if you are in a wet climate where boots are generally considered more acceptable). Generally, low heeled black pumps are going to be what you'd want to wear with that dress, but that is definitely flexible. I'd would suggest going with either skin tone (probably nylons) or black for the stockings if I were you. Thigh highs are fine if that is what you are comfortable with, but no one but you is going to know the difference with that dress.

Other ideas for looking professional in girl clothes: skirt suit. One problem that I can potentially see with that is that women's suit jackets/blazers often create extra emphasis around the shoulders, which is probably not what you are going for.

Overall, I think that the dress is a pretty good bet though.

These are ideas from an FtM based on having dressed fairly effectively as a girl for a few years, and from helping his friends with their wardrobes. A lot of my friends are having to dress for interviews and the like right now. I could come up with more suggestions for potential professional girl clothes based on those worn by my friends if you would like.

Adrien Etienne
Have you read or watched any good Science Fiction or Fantasy that deals with issues of gender and sexuality recently? If so, I'd love to hear about it! :D (This is what I study).
AdrienEtienne

Postby Misty » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

I think the dress looks very nice and would be fine to wear. When they say dress professionally, they're mainly saying don't dress casually (jeans and a t-shirt or tank top), they don't mean that you have to wear a business suit or pantsuit or anything.

My calves don't lend themselves to me wearing a dress, so I'll probably just wear some women's slacks and a nice blouse. I need to find one that will hide the size of my arms and my shoulders. That's my biggest problem with wearing women's clothes right now. All the ones I've tried seem to really accentuate how muscular they still are.
http://fatedendeavor.livejournal.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Misty.Rei
Jan. 2010 - started hormones
Jan. 1st 2011 - full-time
Feb. 11th 2011 - started hair removal
March 16th 2011 - legal name change
???? - SRS
Misty

Postby Amaya » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 pm

thankyou for the responses :). I'm going to go today to look for some low heeled pumps i know a place with good selection. I was thinking of buying a pant suit for this as i never tried on a dress but i really liked it and could'nt pass on it :) I just hope it looks good on me.
Amaya

Postby AdrienEtienne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:19 pm

It's a really nice dress and reminds me of some of the things that my best friend wears. :) And it's a cut that is flattering to a lot of body types.

Adrien Etienne
Have you read or watched any good Science Fiction or Fantasy that deals with issues of gender and sexuality recently? If so, I'd love to hear about it! :D (This is what I study).
AdrienEtienne

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 pm

AdrienEtienne wrote:Stylistically, that dress would be considered professional. Rose thigh highs with knee high boots, not so much.
Generally, low heeled black pumps are going to be what you'd want to wear with that dress, but that is definitely flexible. I'd would suggest going with either skin tone (probably nylons) or black for the stockings if I were you.

Overall, I think that the dress is a pretty good bet though.

I have to agree with Adrien Etienne. The dress is very nice, very professional. Wear the dress with nude pantyhose, or sheer black pantyhose. And for shoes, low heeled black sling-back pumps, low granny-heeled pumps, or low heeled open-toed pumps. Dress nice, and I wish you well, from Ponytails.
My name is Ponytails;cuz I have twin ponytails. I try to be a kind girl,but I march to the beat of a different drummer. That makes me one to be shunned and unwanted?
"F _ _ k
Y _ u,
Ponytails"
I thought so!

9-4-12 O.K.4 HRT
CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby Misty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 am

I'm thinking of something simple like this for my court date.

I think it'll hide my still too muscular shoulders and arms well and I think will look nice. Thank goodness my court date isn't in the summer.
???? - SRS
Misty

Postby cassiegrl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:10 am

damn.. i want that dress jacket thing
There can be tears of sadness, there can be tears of joy, but they are far from the same..

P.S. im not the blonde...
cassiegrl

Postby Misty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 am

cassiegrl wrote:damn.. i want that dress jacket thing

It's a cardigan actually.
???? - SRS
Misty

Postby annemarie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 am

Amaya wrote:Ok so my name change court date is coming up in two weeks, i ordered my first dress which is a very nice looking korean Atelier De Sappho dress this is a link to the website

I'm planning to wear rose thigh high stockings with this dress along with some knee high leather heels. Im new to dressing myself like this but my question is would this look good doing it on a day like this. Maybe i'll take a pic of myself once i recieve everything by mail.My hair isnt really long only been growing it for 10 months and it does seem to grow slow. I was told i needed to be dressed professionlly, while i do wear womens clothing i dont see any of it as professional. I never owned a suit or anything so the only women clothing i have besides this dress is skinny womens jeans with tank tops or vneck shirts. Any help will be appreciated in this decision.

Wearing this dress you´l be ok, quite strictly dressed. I would not recomend rose thigh hing stockings. I would recomend skin/nude coloured hose or black hose.

I personaly woul go fo a pumps, black with a not to high heel, say max 3 inch.

GOOD LUCK!

HUGS
Annemarie
annemarie

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Misty wrote:I'm thinking of something simple like this for my court date.

I think it'll hide my still too muscular shoulders and arms well and I think will look nice.

From your earlier comment, I understand your concern about wearing a short hemline skirt, Misty. Would you consider wearing the cardigan with a pretty, matching color, below-the-calf hemline, flowing circle skirt ? Match the skirt with beige-colored knee high stockings, and low-heel pumps. That combination would be plain, but nice and very feminine, IMO.
My name is Ponytails;cuz I have twin ponytails. I try to be a kind girl,but I march to the beat of a different drummer. That makes me one to be shunned and unwanted?
"F _ _ k
Y _ u,
Ponytails"
I thought so!

9-4-12 O.K.4 HRT
CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby Misty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 pm

CuteButLooksPregnant wrote:
Misty wrote:I'm thinking of something simple like this for my court date.

I think it'll hide my still too muscular shoulders and arms well and I think will look nice.

From your earlier comment, I understand your concern about wearing a short hemline skirt, Misty. Would you consider wearing the cardigan with a pretty, matching color, below-the-calf hemline, flowing circle skirt ? Match the skirt with beige-colored knee high stockings, and low-heel pumps. That combination would be plain, but nice and very feminine, IMO.

Ever since I lowered my spiro dose, I have problems with swollen ankles too. I see my endo a week before my court date. I'll see what he has to say about that. If I could get that sorted, what you propose sounds very nice. Otherwise, I think I'll just feel more comfortable in women's dress slacks with low-heel brown pumps to match the cardigan. It'll still look decidedly feminine, I'm sure.
???? - SRS
Misty

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Misty wrote: Otherwise, I think I'll just feel more comfortable in women's dress slacks with low-heel brown pumps to match the cardigan. It'll still look decidedly feminine, I'm sure.

That being the case, what you mentioned, then that is the way to go. One last suggestion, though. Maybe you could wear a plain white or creme blouse, but have a row of lace or ruffles around the neckline, or vertical rows of lace or ruffles down the front of the blouse. That would still keep your outfit nice and plain, but up the femininity factor a bit. Just trying to help, 'cause I always like to see ones go out in public dressed as nice and pretty as they can. A pleasing, tasteful public image helps a lot, especially when you are going to interact on a interpersonal basis with other people, or so I've found.

I wish both you, Amaya, and you, Misty, the best for your court dates, from Ponytails.
"F _ _ k
Y _ u,
Ponytails"
I thought so!

9-4-12 O.K.4 HRT
CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby sakura » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm

That dress would certainly qualify as professional. I think I wore a t-shirt and jeans to my court date. Never even talked to the judge, it was an empty court room and I handed my paperwork to the court clerk. 5 minutes later, she came back from the judge's office with the paperwork signed and ready to go. I feel sorry for anyone who has to feel like they are on trial just to get this task done, it is just so unnecessary. Good luck and congrats! :)
sakura

Postby twospirit » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I like the suit. It looks nice and professional. I agree about no rose stockings and no thigh high boots. Wear something respectful and conservative, if you are worried about it. Ask your girlfriends about the stockings and shoes.
twospirit

Postby bobbiejo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

Amaya wrote:Ok so my name change court date is coming up in two weeks, i ordered my first dress which is a very nice looking korean Atelier De Sappho dress this is a link to the website

Go for it dear, I wouldn't recommend wearing a bikini or a stripper outfit to court, but I think what you have picked out is just fine.

I wore this dress for my legal name change appearance.
http://www.tgirlbobbiejo.com/images/20081101_16a.jpg
Bobbie Jo
bobbiejo
New

Postby Misty » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 am

sakura wrote:That dress would certainly qualify as professional. I think I wore a t-shirt and jeans to my court date. Never even talked to the judge, it was an empty court room and I handed my paperwork to the court clerk. 5 minutes later, she came back from the judge's office with the paperwork signed and ready to go. I feel sorry for anyone who has to feel like they are on trial just to get this task done, it is just so unnecessary. Good luck and congrats! :)

That may be the same for me, since I'm in So Cal too. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect. I want to look nice either way.
???? - SRS
Misty

Postby AMS » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 pm

:D mines in just under four weeks. Dress to impress Xp
Grand Dragon Princess

I don't see why that girl has never had a boyfriend. She's such an Alexis!
AMS

Postby Amaya » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Well it's official I've finally rid myself of my old name, i went to social security office today to obtain a new card and it should arrive in two weeks. Do i have to wait till the card arrives to go to obtain my new drivers license? I tried to get a new social security number but i was told its not possible unless i have documentation that shows evidence im being targeted for identity theft or am a victim of stalking of some sorts or abuse.. so i guess thats out of the question for now. This is pretty kewl to be Amaya and i hope theres plenty of more change to come this year.
Amaya

Return to Transgender Discussion

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2012 The Ultimate Paradigm