Anyone from arkansas?

Member to member real life support

Anyone from arkansas?

Postby Diexxxaholic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 am

Anyone from arkansas who knows where i can go to talk to a therapist? I tried google to no avail.

I dont mean the next couple things. but the question above still stands.

Arent it be a shamin ! This here be arkansaws ! we aint ever heard o' thems therapist for them queerfolk..

Is what im afraid im going to get as an answer if i ask people. lol ;)

perhaps i should stand on the side of the road with a sign "will work for psychological evaluation"

Thanks for your help:)
Diexxxaholic
Regular

Re: Anyone from arkansas?

Postby BoxedIn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 am

There's two therapists listed in the link I've provided. Don't know if the info is up to date, though. Check it out.

http://www.drbecky.com/therapists02.html
Hi, I'm Beth....
BoxedIn

Postby Tara » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 am

I'm from Arkansas, having grown up there, but I don't live there now. I you live in or near a university town, such as Fayetteville, Jonesboro, or Little Rock, you might try contacting the psychology department of the university, and seeing if they're aware of anyone.

Also, just a bit of chiding on my part: it seems out of place for members of an often stereotyped group to play off a stereotype of people from Arkansas. I'm probably over-sensitive to that, but still. I've spent a lot of time correcting the ideas about Arkansas held by people who couldn't find it on a map, so I tend to try to nip those sorts of things in the bud.

Yes, Arkansans can read, and do own shoes. Just sayin'. Certainly some of the attitudes tend to be southern-conservative, but not universally so.

OK, off my soapbox.
~*~ Tara

“What do you fear, lady?” he asked.
“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Tara

Postby Andina » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 am

Tha'ts true, if your Polish, Blonde, or from Arkansas you have a common but undeserved problem. I looked it up on Google, it is on the map now.
Andina
Board Moderator

Postby Tara » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Diexxxaholic, I'll add to my suggestion about contacting local university psychology departments that you're probably best served by a state or private secular school in that. If you contact a school connected with a conservative religious group, such as Harding or John Brown or Ouachita Baptist, you likely won't get much that is useful. And I say that as a graduate of one of those schools.

Andina wrote:Tha'ts true, if your Polish, Blonde, or from Arkansas you have a common but undeserved problem. I looked it up on Google, it is on the map now.

And I try very very hard not to tell blonde jokes for the same reason. But sometimes it's hard. :-P
~*~ Tara

“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Tara

Postby FTMichael » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 pm

http://t-vox.org/index.php?title=Therapists_by_region has two listings for AR - if you find any others, though, please add them! :)
'To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.'
--e.e. cummings
FTMichael

Postby Diexxxaholic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 pm

ooh thanks you ! i didnt look good enough i guess.
Diexxxaholic
Regular

Postby Diexxxaholic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Sorry for playing off a stereotype. Its not meant to be offensive. I use to be around those kinds of people (and still am every christmas,and family get together...) The "stereotype" of a person from the south. Ignorant people are everywhere though! No hard feels against anyone from arkansas,im from arkansas.
Diexxxaholic
Regular

Postby Jenturn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm in Fayetteville, I stumbled across this while looking for info: http://ar-tg-support.org/medical.htm
"All my life I've been over the top, I don't know what I'm doing all I know is I don't wanna stop. All fired up I'm gonna go 'til I drop, you're either in or in the way. Don't make me, I don't wanna stop."-Ozzy
Jenturn
Regular

Postby Tara » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:11 am

I think we need to start a support group for current and former Arkansas residents. :lol:
~*~ Tara

Tara

Postby Jenturn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

Tara wrote:I think we need to start a support group for current and former Arkansas residents. :lol:

Tell me about it. I came here for anonymity and half the board is in my backyard! :lol:
"All my life I've been over the top, I don't know what I'm doing all I know is I don't wanna stop. All fired up I'm gonna go 'til I drop, you're either in or in the way. Don't make me, I don't wanna stop."-Ozzy
Jenturn
Regular

Postby Marie F » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Little Rock citizen here, Ralph Hyman is still very active and I know several people who use his services. Personally I was referred through UCA's counseling center to a different therapist, also in Little Rock. I'll try to add his info to T-Vox but I'll gladly reply it to you in a PM if you need it. Hopefully this is relevant and you're in the central AR area, as I have no idea about the quality of info in the Fayettenam area.

There are actually a few groups in Little Rock, one of which is Central Arkansas Transsexual/Transgender Support which meets at the first Saturday of every month and is usually geared towards an older generation.

Another is Gender Equality ARkansas (GEAR) that meets through the Central for Artistic Revolution center. This particular group has a more activist bend, with mostly younger members, and a broader focus on the transgender spectrum.

Let me know and I'll get the info for these groups if they're something you'd be interested in.
Marie F
Regular

Return to Real World Support

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2012 The Ultimate Paradigm