Testosterone Blockers

RLT, HRT, FFS, and SRS Support

Testosterone Blockers

Postby imJessica » Wed May 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello All,

My therapist has suggested that I start a testosterone blocker as a first step in my transition. I'm curious what affect would taking a T-blocker have on my both emotionally and physically?

Jess
imJessica
New

Re: Testosterone Blockers

Postby KittenAB » Wed May 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Most feel slightly calmer emotionally, personally I haven't noticed that. However physically it does have a huge benefit for those who have not completed puberty, such as my case, it prevents the further development of male traits. Just taking female hormones can still allow the body to develop the masculine traits, so a t-blocker is generally a good idea if you want to avoid that. Once the traits are fully developed though, or the testes are removed, it's useless for any physical effects. It can also decrease sex drive but no effect on sexual ability. For me the only benefit is the halting of masculine traits, thank the universe that my natural physical development was slow.
Gotta enjoy the little things. -Zombieland
KittenAB

Postby angel_dust » Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Just started my HRT last month with E and two T-blockers.

Noticeable effect so far, drier skin on the face. Less perspiration so less oily. I've benefited with this since I've got an oily face which leads to breakouts.

Libido has decreased thank goodness. Now my mind is less pre-occupied with sex. I'm into cooking right now. Maybe will try gardening later. or cross-stitching...

I've been feeling tired but it's probably because i'm doing aerobic and strength training exercises to lose some weight. So far, my mood is still elated. I will be expecting for it to change later on once physical changes become noticeable. My friends and family doesn't know yet.
"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."
----- Marilyn Monroe
angel_dust

Postby Tracyohus » Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 pm

imJessica wrote:I'm curious what affect would taking a T-blocker have on my both emotionally and physically?

Anti-androgen therapy will slow down and possibly prevent further vitalization such as male body hair and male patterned hair loss. Depending on how old you are it may also prevent any more facial hair from sparking into life. Keep in mind that anti-androgen therapy will do little to nothing to slow down or stop facial that has already sparked into life. Also depending on how old you are, your hair line may reverse from a male pattern hair line to a hair line that looks more feminine. However if you have had a male hair line for five years or longer, it is not likely to reverse. For people who were born with intersexed conditions such as PAIS or MAIS, anti-androgen therapy can start "de-virilization" that will slowly feminize the body - and as a result allow lower doses of external estrogen to achieve feminization.

I wish I had known about the benefits of anti-androgen therapy when I was in my 20's. I would have gone on them right away. I personally feel that even low dose anti-androgen therapy is a good thing for M2F transgendered people. If you are in the U.S., the two meds are not very expensive if you go with generics. Generic Spironolactone is very inexpensive and generic Finasteride is not too bad. You can save even more money by asking your doctor to write the scripts for the biggest pills and then split them into your required dose with a pill splitter. This is what I do.

Emotionally, I became more mellow a short while after starting anti-androgen therapy.
Sometimes you need to do what's best for you and your life,
not what's best for everybody else.
Tracyohus

Postby angel_dust » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 am

Tracyohus wrote:
imJessica wrote:I'm curious what affect would taking a T-blocker have on my both emotionally and physically?

I wish I had known about the benefits of anti-androgen therapy when I was in my 20's. I would have gone on them right away. I personally feel that even low dose anti-androgen therapy is a good thing for M2F transgendered people. If you are in the U.S., the two meds are not very expensive if you go with generics. Generic Spironolactone is very inexpensive and generic Finasteride is not too bad. You can save even more money by asking your doctor to write the scripts for the biggest pills and then split them into your required dose with a pill splitter. This is what I do.

Emotionally, I became more mellow a short while after starting anti-androgen therapy.

I agree. If I had also known myself the benefits of anti-androgen therapy early on. I would have started earlier. Then again, better late than never. How old were you when you started?
"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."
----- Marilyn Monroe
angel_dust

Postby Tracyohus » Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm

angel_dust wrote:
Tracyohus wrote:I wish I had known about the benefits of anti-androgen therapy when I was in my 20's. I would have gone on them right away.

...better late than never. How old were you when you started?

I started low-dose anti-androgen therapy in November of 2008. I was 43 years old at that time. We spent some months slowly increasing my dose until we found what was right for me.
Tracyohus

Postby imJessica » Fri May 27, 2011 6:40 pm

:D
Tracyohus wrote:
angel_dust wrote:
Tracyohus wrote:I wish I had known about the benefits of anti-androgen therapy when I was in my 20's. I would have gone on them right away.

...better late than never. How old were you when you started?

I started low-dose anti-androgen therapy in November of 2008. I was 43 years old at that time. We spent some months slowly increasing my dose until we found what was right for me.

Thank you so much for sharing, very helpful :D I'm 44 and just starting my journey, back when I was in my twenties I didn't understand why I felt like a woman.
imJessica
New

Postby Tracyohus » Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 pm

imJessica wrote:I'm 44 and just starting my journey...

Just so you know ahead of time, at your age, your hair line will not likely return to where it was when you were an adolescent (which is what a feminine hair line basically is), but the rest of your hair should thicken in a year or two - or three. If you have experienced moderate male patterned hair loss (up to stage five), that loss should reverse to whatever stage of loss you had about five years ago. This also takes time - at least a year but probably more like three years. If you have extensive male pattern hair loss (stage six or seven), you will not recover enough of your own hair to create a feminine head of hair - not even with hair transplant surgery. If that is the case you have no choice but to wear prosthetic hair.

Also at your age your facial hair will not likely slow down much. So you want to get started on permanent facial hair removal as soon as possible. The sooner you start this process the sooner you will start feeling better about yourself. No matter when you start electrolysis, you will always wish you started sooner.

You will still benefit from anti-androgen therapy in other ways though. Your body hair will still thin out and eventually become almost non-existent – if not completely gone. And you will still reduce the amount of estrogen you will need to take in order to feminize. The lower you can keep your estrogen dose (and still cause/maintain feminization) the better.
Tracyohus

Postby arab4u69 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Hello

I am 40y old new to be transsexual MTF , what the good anti-androgen i have to take ?
arab4u69
New

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 pm

arab4u69 wrote:Hello

I am 40y old new to be transsexual MTF , what the good anti-androgen i have to take ?

What ever your physician or endocrinologist prescribes for you. Its their call based on your medical history. We can give you a list, but none of us are MD's here.
Vicky --

I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!!!

Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at tax collectors ---- and miss! - Lazarus Long
Vicky

Postby Marion » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:32 am

I started on spiro alone for 3 months, then added e, and recently added finasteride. In the first 3 months, to be totally honest, I don't think I noticed much of a change emotionally or physically. It's hard to be objective though. My SO tells me my personality is much "softer" now.. Not sure what that is caused by. Just start taking them and don't give it a second thought.
Marion
Regular

Postby WhothezarkamI » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:56 am

Marion wrote:<snip>My SO tells me my personality is much "softer" now.. Not sure what that is caused by.<snip>

I would think that the "softer" would be less stressed, and under less pressure to be aggressive now that you don't have to pretend to be something you aren't.
"I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain/Somehow I'm still here to explain/That the darkest hour never comes in the night/You can sleep with a gun/But when you gonna wake up and fight...for yourself"-Shinedown
Narcissa Étaín Walker
WhothezarkamI

Postby Nickybovarro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:07 pm

My endo has me on estrogen patches and generic spiro and yes I get the big pills. It does save you money :P

So, far there is soft skin changes less hair growth (The need for shaving has lessened). See, I never finished my male puberty. Never really had a male puberty except in some areas. (Voice etc.)

But, most of the responses you see on affects and results of being on e and t blockers pretty much are true. Breasts hurt soft skin lower sex drive etc.

But yep you'll notice the changes. Just kick back and enjoy them :thumb:
Nickybovarro

Postby Tracyohus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 am

Nickybovarro wrote:My endo has me on estrogen patches and generic spiro and yes I get the big pills. It does save you money.

As far as I can tell the generics work just as well as the name brand meds. My blood work indicates that as well. It's a low-cost solution that works well. In my area, both Finasteride and Spironolactone are on the list of $4/$10 generics at Walmart, but the $10.00 90-day supply of Spironolactone is only for the 25mg pills. The 100mg pills are not on the list. Even so, it is still less expensive to get the 100mg pills. Because Spironolactone is already an inexpensive medication to begin with.

My script for Spironolactone is primarily for my heart condition. My dose to manage that would only be 50mg twice per day - morning and evening. The secondary reason I take Spironolactone is to help Finasteride prevent further scalp hair loss and reduce my body hair. Therefore my dose to manage all three of those conditions is 100mg twice per day.

My script for Finasteride is to treat prostate enlargement and prevent further hair loss. The dose for treating an enlarged prostate is 5mg - but I was instructed to split the pill in half and take half the pill in the morning and the other half in the evening - approximately 12 hours apart.

We tried patches but my skin could not tolerate the glue. I currently take estrogen sublingually, though we have talked about giving the gel a try. I might give it a try when long-sleeve weather returns.
Tracyohus

Postby LVTrish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Just changed Pharms (again) and got a pretty decent price on Finesteride. 5mg 90 day, (90pills) Generics, $30.27 Cash at Walgreens.

With Insurance I was paying $25 co-pay monthly. Now I get 90days for $30 without using my insurance. Makes sense eh?
The "LV" stands for Spring Hill!
LVTrish

Postby Tracyohus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 pm

LVTrish wrote:Now I get 90days for $30 without using my insurance. Makes sense eh?

Generic 5mg Finasteride is on Walmart's $4/$10 generics list. So a 90-day supply of 5mg Finasteride is only $10.00 at Walmart's pharmacy.

Gotta go...
Tracyohus

Postby LVTrish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Tracyohus wrote:
LVTrish wrote:Now I get 90days for $30 without using my insurance. Makes sense eh?

Generic 5mg Finasteride is on Walmart's $4/$10 generics list. So a 90-day supply of 5mg Finasteride is only $10.00 at Walmart's pharmacy.

Gotta go...

Not here it aint...
LVTrish

Postby Tracyohus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm

LVTrish wrote:Not here it aint...

Well that's not fair. I wonder why.
Tracyohus

Postby LVTrish » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Tracyohus wrote:
LVTrish wrote:Not here it aint...

Well that's not fair. I wonder why.

Beats me... Believe me ive asked.

I can mail order but its a pain faxing scripts around. (specially when i get mine electro-xfered to my current pharm, so there is no piece of paper to fax around - so I have to ask my doc to fax one to them if I wanted that)

I'll be getting different insurance in around 4 months. I intend it to be better than the pos i got now.
LVTrish

Return to Transition

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2012 The Ultimate Paradigm