Wanting to start HRT soon.

RLT, HRT, FFS, and SRS Support

Wanting to start HRT soon.

Postby LucyHeartfilia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 am

Hello, I had a few questions, and concerns I wanted to see if I could get help with. :lol: I'm 26 and live in Tennessee.. And it's really hard to find therapists around my area for developing a female voice. I've tried a lot on my own to do it. I'm really good with voicing characters that are high pitched, or really deep. But other than that I can't get anywhere near what I want to be at.

Is 26 an okay age to start with HRT and still get decent results? Apparently when I've gone out in a female costume I get hit on a lot, and no one notices I'm actually a guy. So I think I can pass for that part. When I mention costume I go to anime conventions lol.

Other concerns are: I'm not skinny, but just a bit overweight(230, and 6'1) What kind of exercises would I need to do to be able to get a fairly nice figure. I don't mean like 120 or anything but just smaller in general like 170 even. It's mostly just my stomach and that was from when I had my gall bladder removed.

Plus sides are that my family, and friends are okay with my decision, and some of my coworkers know I plan to do that as I work at Walmart.

PS: I hate Tennessee. xD
LucyHeartfilia
New

Re: Wanting to start HRT soon.

Postby Sam » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:26 am

LucyHeartfilia wrote:Is 26 an okay age to start with HRT and still get decent results?

Can you give a shred of sensible explanation why HRT would work differently at age... 20? Or 26? 0r 36? Or 66? Once you're done with puberty it doesn't matter how old are you.

*edit* made a blooper. It's "doesn't matter how old you are."
Last edited by Sam on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be yourself (I am the Stinkfist!)
Sam

Postby Andina » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:22 am

I started HRT at 65 and had fabulous results.
Voice therapists are hard to find, I gave up. After 7 years of practicing, I pass 100% live but only 10% on the phone, however on the phone I'm usually answering a technical help line where they are expecting a guy.
Andina
Board Moderator

Postby LucyHeartfilia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:27 am

I've heard, and read various things. So I thought I'd ask instead of assuming that it was so. Thank you though for replying. ^^
LucyHeartfilia
New

Postby Nymphalidae » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 am

LucyHeartfilia wrote:... And it's really hard to find therapists around my area for developing a female voice. I've tried a lot on my own to do it. I'm really good with voicing characters that are high pitched, or really deep. But other than that I can't get anywhere near what I want to be at.

Have you tried the "Finding Your Female Voice" products from Deep Stealth, the company run by Andrea James and Calpernia Addams?

In case you haven't, here's a link: http://www.genderlife.com/
Nymphalidae

Postby BecomingSusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:39 am

Congratulations on your decision to transition. I hope it goes well for you. Lot's of us here are happy to help just about any time.

Some voice coaches will work with you over the web using programs like Skype. You might just want to google it to find one that works for you.

Is 26 okay? I only wish I had started then. I'm 60 and doing well. The general thought is the sooner a person starts the better the results, but that's only true to a point. You might still benefit from starting at your age, in that you may not have as much facial hair as you would if you were older. Everything else that I can think of right now, except perhaps for some bone mass, has finished growing. You don't have some of the risks associated with the HRT medications that an older person, like me, has, so you should be able to take higher doses than me--and that's a good thing, in my opinion.

Getting your weight to an optimum level is good from many perspectives. It's certainly good for your overall health. You're not exempt from HRT risks, you just have lower risk than someone older. I think it's also true that getting your weight as low as you can will give you a more feminine appearance. I am 6'2" and once weighed 250. I'm at 190 now and am working to get down to 170. Once I plateau at that weight for a while, I may try to get it even lower. My plastic surgeon wants me to keep some of my weight for a while, though, to use for fat transfers to my face and hips/butt.

My gall bladder is gone, too. I didn't notice any weight gain from that though. If anything, I lost weight. Males are inclined to put on weight at the belly, while women generally put it on at the hips, thighs, butt, and boobs. HRT may cause some redistribution of weight. I have read claims to that effect, but I've seen only slight results, if any. A good diet and adequate exercise are your best bet. I mostly do fat-burning exercise. Others here will probably have better suggestions about it than me.

It's great that you have acceptance from family, friends, and work. Not all of us are so fortunate.

Maybe you know that along with HRT, you will want to start growing your hair and begin facial hair removal. Don't put off that last item. Facial hair is one of the toughest parts of transitioning.
BecomingSusan

Postby Sam » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

BecomingSusan wrote:The general thought is the sooner a person starts the better the results, but that's only true to a point.

It's also wrong.

There's 3 stages in human growth. Prepuberty, puberty and postpuberty.

It doesn't matter at all when in prepuberty you start HRT. Unless you go totally nuts and start giving oestrogens to a 7 year old that is. Generally prepuberty trans kids get on blockers. So the puberty is halted till the age of consent (or legal age... doesn't really matter) and then hormones are added. Basically these kids go through puberty at a later time than their peers. Results are generally perfectly in line with the peers of their chosen gender (i.e. MTFs get female voices, soft skin, no hair growth in odd places, breasts, fat distribution etc etc).

Then there's puberty. This is the only stage in human growth where age does matter. Rather significantly that is. Once you start puberty it's always better to start HRT asap. Stop whatever changes are occurring in their tracks. Once your voice breaks you're stuck with it. Once your beard starts to grow... you're stuck with whatever has grown before you managed to stop it. Skin will get softer (just as with 'old' people), you'll grow breasts (to a degree... just as anyone else), some fat distribution will occur...).

And now we're at post puberty. Now this is a fun place to be. Your T levels are at their peak as you start this stage... and then they go down. And down. And down. If anything, HRT gives better results the older you are. But never worse. You'll have to fight with voice and facial (possibly other body) hair... but that's pretty much it. Everything else comes along as it's supposed to (according to your body).

Of course... the older you get the more problems you face to fight with. But those are age related. An old woman is an old woman. You'll never be as pretty as you'd possibly be if you started 20 years ago. Age is a problem of its own... it's not a problem for HRT. Cept for the health risks... but those don't have much to do with results in question.

As for voice problems... there's this not-too-old thread. Check it out. I'm too lazy to repeat.

*Disclaimer* I didn't include FTMs. We all know the older the guys get, the charming they are (providing they take care of themselves).
Sam

Postby BecomingSusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Sam,

How is what I said wrong? I did say "to a point" leaving the door open to conditions where it might not be true. Pre-puberty and puberty are beyond the scope of the current discussion. The ages mentioned were 26 and 60 and the TOU requires a minimum age of 18 to participate here, correct?

So, within the scope and context of the discussion, if it is untrue that starting early is better, does that mean you are saying that starting later is better? Are you encouraging the OP and everyone else here to postpone their transition?

Of course, if it's not better to start earlier, and not better to start later, then the best time to start would be right now. :lol:

By the way: It's sometimes amusing and usually insulting for a twenty-something to tell me what it's like to be 60. I'll be long dead by the time you get to be my age. Maybe you'll live to know what it's like. I really hope so. Then you can listen to young folks telling you what it's like to get old, and you might even start to think that some respect would be nice. But just so you know, from my vantage point, it would have been better to start HRT earlier, and the reasons, be they hormone-related or not, don't change the fact that sooner would have been better.
BecomingSusan

Postby Sam » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 pm

BecomingSusan wrote:How is what I said wrong? I did say "to a point" leaving the door open to conditions where it might not be true.

Because you said "the sooner a person starts the better the results". It's not true. Not even to a point. It just isn't. Especially not in the scope of this thread (as you have correctly deducted).

BecomingSusan wrote:So, within the scope and context of the discussion, if it is untrue that starting early is better, does that mean you are saying that starting later is better? Are you encouraging the OP and everyone else here to postpone their transition?

Sam wrote:Once you're done with puberty it doesn't matter how old are you.

BecomingSusan wrote:It's sometimes amusing and usually insulting for a twenty-something to tell me what it's like to be 60. I'll be long dead by the time you get to be my age.

If you're talking about me you can stop assuming. I'm not 'twenty-something'. Nor does that show anything.

BecomingSusan wrote:be they hormone-related or not, don't change the fact that sooner would have been better.

Of course it'd be better. You'd (probably) be prettier. You could (probably) enjoy your life more. You could... But the issue here is... are the HRT results better? And the answer is no.
Sam

Postby BecomingSusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Well, okay. If you want to take it to precisely the level of the chemical processes, you're right, as far as I know. I was thinking in a broader sense. When someone talks about starting HRT, they are talking about chemicals seriously changing their life and not just their body. In that sense, I still think it's better to start sooner, and if results are measured with a broader scale, they would be better.

There are legal, social, psychological, and other impacts of HRT as well as the physical. Every way I think about it, it would probably have been better to start sooner, rather than later. If I had started when my children were young, I could probably have had better results in that they might not be estranged from me now. If I had started earlier in life, when I didn't have any where near the complexity of life that I do now, so many things would be easier and again, I believe the results would have been better.

There is at least one physical thing that continues well past the end of puberty, by the way. That is body hair growth. For most males, body hair continues to get thicker for their entire life. So, I think starting sooner would help with that. Something I'll admit that I don't know but have been wondering about is nose hair and ear hair. It's really annoying and has gotten worse for me over my life. I wonder if I had started HRT in my twenties, would that hair not have grown? I suspect that it wouldn't have, but I just don't know for sure. (I'm contemplating electrolysis in my nose and ears... Oh, what fun that will be! Probably right up there with the joy of doing my scrotum.) I think facial hair also continues to get thicker for most males and that HRT will stop that process as well.

So there you go, I was thinking that starting HRT is the beginning of a set of changes of many things: physical, chemical, psychological, social, and even legal. I wish I could have transitioned when I was seven years old. I know I'm not the only one to think that, too. I have few doubts that that would have resulted in a happier life for me. I really hope that the early diagnosis and treatment of GID will be a reality some day, so the young ones like us won't have to go through what we have.

Happy New Year Everyone!
BecomingSusan

Postby Sam » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:20 pm

BecomingSusan wrote:I really hope that the early diagnosis and treatment of GID will be a reality some day, so the young ones like us won't have to go through what we have.

It is a reality. And that's just one of many stories.
Sam

Postby LucyHeartfilia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you everyone for addressing my questions, It really means a lot. ^^ I've learned more this way. :)
LucyHeartfilia
New

Postby BecomingSusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Sam wrote:
BecomingSusan wrote:I really hope that the early diagnosis and treatment of GID will be a reality some day, so the young ones like us won't have to go through what we have.

It is a reality. And that's just one of many stories.

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. We may be headed in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go. Here's to a better tomorrow!
BecomingSusan

Postby Sam » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:00 pm

LucyHeartfilia wrote:Thank you everyone for addressing my questions, It really means a lot. ^^ I've learned more this way. :)

Well then... keep asking.
Sam

Postby Tracyohus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:38 am

LucyHeartfilia wrote:Other concerns are: I'm not skinny, but just a bit overweight(230, and 6'1) What kind of exercises would I need to do to be able to get a fairly nice figure.

Exercises that you love to do are the best exercises for you - because you are more likely to stick with it. At the very least try to make sure to take a brisk one hour walk on most days. You will be surprised with how well something that simple actually works. Doing calesthenics every few days as well will help even more.

You also want to find out what your ideal body weight is. This is the target you should try to shoot for. For a woman your age and height, the healthy range is 144 to 189 pounds. If you can get yourself in about the middle of that range, I think you would be happy with yourself.

LucyHeartfilia wrote:Is 26 an okay age to start with HRT and still get decent results?

After puberty, it doesn't really matter for the most part. If you have a family history of male patterned baldness, the sooner you start the better because cross-sex M2F HRT can prevent MPB - or arrest MPB if it has already stated.
Sometimes you need to do what's best for you and your life,
not what's best for everybody else.
Tracyohus

Postby LucyHeartfilia » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Tracyohus wrote:
LucyHeartfilia wrote:Other concerns are: I'm not skinny, but just a bit overweight(230, and 6'1) What kind of exercises would I need to do to be able to get a fairly nice figure.

Exercises that you love to do are the best exercises for you - because you are more likely to stick with it. At the very least try to make sure to take a brisk one hour walk on most days. You will be surprised with how well something that simple actually works. Doing calesthenics every few days as well will help even more.

You also want to find out what your ideal body weight is. This is the target you should try to shoot for. For a woman your age and height, the healthy range is 144 to 189 pounds. If you can get yourself in about the middle of that range, I think you would be happy with yourself.

After puberty, it doesn't really matter for the most part. If you have a family history of male patterned baldness, the sooner you start the better because cross-sex M2F HRT can prevent MPB - or arrest MPB if it has already stated.

I've been doing sit-ups, and toe touches a lot, as well as eating once a day and then snaking other times during the day. But yes you're right anywhere within that range of body weight would make me happy, My legs are pretty small, and feminine anyway so the running may or may not help lol. It's just my blasted stomach.

I uploaded a small picture of me in my avatar, I guess it may help a bit with seeing what I look like, and all.
LucyHeartfilia
New

Postby BecomingSusan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Ah, yes, the stomach. I have the same problem. There's two types of fat there. The layer below the skin, which can be removed by liposuction and responds to diet and exercise. Then there's the visceral fat that forms around the internal organs and is much more difficult to get rid of. Only exercise and diet will work on that, and it takes a lot of both and you're likely to lose weight everywhere else before losing very much visceral fat. The tendency for visceral fat is a male characteristic driven by testosterone. Getting rid of the testosterone and adding estrogen should also help reduce visceral fat, but it can take years to have much affect.
BecomingSusan

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Tracyohus wrote:

Exercises that you love to do are the best exercises for you - because you are more likely to stick with it. At the very least try to make sure to take a brisk one hour walk on most days. You will be surprised with how well something that simple actually works.

Here is an idea that might help you to enforce your exercise routine, and help you to lose weight, too. Why not consider making a New Years Resolution something like this----
If there is a grocery store, or a MalWart ( WalMart ) near you, like within 2-3 miles, then tell yourself that the only food that you will buy and consume will be the food that you obtain from said store. Then purchase a roll-away wire cart, the kind that you see old people pull behind them. The only way you can shop for your food is to walk to the store with your cart, buy enough to fill the cart with maybe a few days supply of food, and walk back to your residence. No driving to get food, no driving to fast food places. Your food supply is now tied to your ability to walk to get it, thus enforcing your regular exercise. Whatever you decide, I hope that your plans work out so you can realize your gender goals. I wish you well, Lucy.

BTW---I have the same body shape problem that you do. I am not overweight or obese, but I look like a cute middle-aged or older woman who looks like she is several months pregnant. I sometimes wear maternity dresses because they are so much more comfortable to wear, so that just adds to the problem. I look like my avatar ( well maybe not that bad ) !
Last edited by CuteButLooksPregnant on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Ponytails;cuz I have twin ponytails. I try to be a kind girl,but I march to the beat of a different drummer. That makes me one to be shunned and unwanted?
"F _ _ k
Y _ u,
Ponytails"
I thought so!

9-4-12 O.K.4 HRT
CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby zindra » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:02 pm

yay fairy tail! :thumb:

join a gym and run your ass off! or start cycling.
to monitor your weight and diet, join myfitnesspal.com
have a workout buddy :)
zindra

Postby ForBrooke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:05 am

Just commenting to agree on how much I hate TN. :3
ForBrooke
New

Return to Transition

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2012 The Ultimate Paradigm